Sunday, October 25, 2009

Responding to a Racist..

Just as I was starting to forget about the last racist e-mail, another one unfortunately appeared.
I was quite disturbed to read the language of hate. I thought we ended this discussion and were prepared to move on to other worthy topics.
This latest letter definitely deserves a response. I feel it is important to expose issues of this kind because we cannot hide the fact that racism still exists in our communities. Sweeping it under the rug won't do it justice.
For the record, this will be the final time I will be entertaining any comments of this nature. So if you're looking to get your hate message published, you're knocking on the wrong door.
This latest individual, who claims he is originally from India but not from Punjab, goes on a rampage of assaulting Sikhs.
I have censored many parts of his letter and here are just some of his mindless thoughts:
". . . Week after week, you trot out the same Sikh stories. Tell me, do the Sikhs pay you to do this? You are like their mouthpiece.
"Come Christmas and you trot out one column about your white friends. Sikhs should make an effort to assimilate into this country and get out of the ghetto mentality.
"You just have to take a look into the Criminal Code of Canada and see the number of Sikhs who figure in it. Stop brainwashing your kids into thinking that the Komagatu Maru was somehow Canadians' fault and the Sikhs were entitled to be here. Be thankful they let you stay - the Americans will not tolerate this diversity nonsense."
First mistake: I don't trot out the same old Sikh stories every week. I believe in balance and have proven that over my 14 years writing this column in Abbotsford-Mission.
Second mistake: Sikhs don't pay me for this and I am not their mouthpiece. I am paid by the Abbotsford-Mission Times. Just so you know, I was offered to write a column for another newspaper that wanted me to focus on Indo-Canadian issues only. I turned it down. I wanted something more inclusive and community-oriented.
Third mistake: Sikhs have already assimilated into our country. Travel across Canada and take a look around.
Fourth mistake: The last time I went to teach tennis at a prison, Sikhs appeared to be the minority in the criminal justice system.
Fifth mistake: I never brainwashed children about the 1914 Komagatu Maru incident and never blamed anyone for it.
Sixth mistake: I am thankful Canada let me stay - especially since I was born here.
Hey, if you focus on the negative, you'll find the negative.
Building an inclusive, diverse community takes inspirational leadership and as a community newspaper we are taking steps toward establishing this everyday.
The Abbotsford-Mission Times, myself and editor-friend Gord Kurenoff are presenting "Building an Inclusive, Diverse Community."
If you are between the ages of 14 to 26 and enjoy writing, we would like to hear from you. Your answer should be 300 words or less and should answer the following:
"What have you done or what can you do to make our community more inclusive?"
The deadline will be early September. Responses can be e-mailed to me at kherar@gmail.com, to Gord at gkurenoff@abbotsfordtimes.com, or dropped off at the Times office on Peardonville Road.

[Columnist Ken Herar writes for the Abbotsford-Mission Times and the Mission Extra. To comment, e-mail him at KenHerar@gmail.com.]
July 4, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment