We are on the home stretch of our essay contest entitled: Building an Inclusive, Diverse Community. It has been a blast. The stories you hear of people fostering and building relationships is enriching. It always amazes me to hear the brilliant minds of high school and university students on how we can grow as an inclusive community. I took our contest to some of the local high schools and our University of the Fraser Valley. In the several discussions I had with students their wasn‘t one wrong response. That is the beauty of our question it entails a wide spectrum of diversity. The question again is: “ What have you done or what can you do to make our community more inclusive?” The deadline is October 30th and must between the ages of (14 to 26). All responses must be 300 words or less. Winners will be notified and will appear in our November 20th supplement along with their responses. Responses can be emailed to me at the address below or dropped at the Times office - 30887 Peardonville Rd. Abbotsford.
When I reflect back on my 14 years as a columnist I can honestly say I am equally proud of Abbotsford and Mission on how both communities have successfully embraced diversity at every corner. Whether you go to the shopping mall, the schools or at city hall the engines of diversity our working as a single body. It has taken some time to reach this stage and we haven’t completed the full circle. I still hear of many issues and concerns that need to be addressed to make our community more inclusive. Providing opportunity to our youth to participate in contest such as these sets a stage for everyone to learn and explore.
Here are a few tips to make our community more inclusive. Whenever I take a seat in my car and hit the roadway I always find myself a victim of a speeding pickup truck at my rear end. These large powerful vehicles often a male driver behind the wheel need to slow down before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. Going a few clicks above the limit is reasonable, not pedal to the medal. Have you ever thought of new drivers or seniors who you race up too in their rearview mirrors? Stop thinking of yourself and show some common decency to your fellow drivers, which you should have learned at driving school.
The amount of garbage I find and see on the street is troubling. I admit I have been irresponsible and littered in the past and changed these horrible habits. Its a human weakness or just complete laziness for people to throw their litter when you can easily go to the nearest garbage can and dispose of it. I applaud the people to make it their commitment to pick up people’s trash and make our community clean. McDonalds restaurants has a program called, “ International Block Cleaning” where employee’s go twice a day in a few block radius around the restaurant and clean the litter on the streets. Some consider it to be free advertising. I see it as sending out the wrong message.
As we get set to celebrate Diwali this week and Persons Day on October 18th or better known as Women’s Month here is some of what’s happening this week:
-- Fraser Valley Indo Canadian Business Association presents: Jodha- Akbar Dinner and Dance on October 16th. All net proceeds are going towards the Fraser Health Emergency and Imaging Ward. For more information contact Kelly.Chahal@gov.bc.ca
--- On Oct 16th Diwali will be celebrated at West Heights School by the Multicultural Department of Mission Community Services from 5:30pm- 9pm. For more information contact Kusum Soni at mcssmulticultural@shawbiz.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment