Earlier this week, I probably encountered the most dangerous situation in my life. Even writing about it creeps me. It began with a nice peaceful Sunday with a late gym workout at 9pm and basketball an hour later at 10 at the Abbotsford Recreation Centre. Yes, folks Air India was in full flight and nailed a few three’s. The old fart can still play with some of the best local talent. The big hand struck midnight and it was time to head home back to beautiful Mission. I don’t what it was, but I was anxious to get back home. It started to downpour as I was coming over the Mission Bridge with T- storm flashes in the looming dark sky. A short time later, as I pulled into my driveway and started to walk to the rear of the home, I heard movements in the backyard. I paused for a few moments because it was extremely dark and wanted to make sure it was safe to enter. The neighbor’s dogs were repeatedly barking- thinking it was just a cat making its way home. My guard was up and decided to proceed with caution. I made it inside with no issues.
The first think, I did was head straight to the laundry basket and take off those sweaty clothes. With both cars in the driveway and a few lights switched on. I felt safe. If you don’t feel secure at home where else can you. Specially, when I am alone, I do hear strange sounds lurking throughout the house, which I am becoming accustomed too. With my laptop turned on I decided to spend sometime checking my mail downstairs before I headed to the main floor. My instincts where telling me something just wasn’t right this early morning. I was going to head to the shower, but decided to wait. Bringing my laptop upstairs, I decided to sit in the living room where I don’t normally sit for a few minutes. Enjoying my last few minutes before heading to the sack, I heard the screen door in the kitchen opening. I thought it was the wind blowing it open. I heard it again and it just didn’t sound right. So, I decided to take a look and head to the kitchen in a tactical approach. Being pitch dark in the kitchen and with no shirt on, I moved methodically and around fridge and there he was on my rear patio. One possibly two scumbag(s) trying to break into my house at 1am through the kitchen door. We where face to face with only the door protecting him and me. Lucky for him. He saw me and took off like a speeding bullet. I was stunned. So was he. It took a few minutes for me to gather my composure and decided to give chase. I realize the police don’t recommend this, but I was furious. I took the car and went a few blocks down the street to locate these thieves. But, to no prevail, I couldn’t locate these brazing criminals. I called 911 and a few Mission RCMP cruisers were dispatched to the house. Having study criminology, I didn’t touch the crime scene and went with the officer to the kitchen door. For what I could gather, the thieves were probably only minutes away from gaining entry into my home. The door lock was bent and he used a big jar of peanut butter, which he left behind in the rush to hold the screen door open so he could work without making noise. I believe someone was looking out for me. Who knows what the situation could have been if I had been in the shower and him in the house. I made the correct decision to be upstairs at that precise moment. Sometimes its good to follow your gut instincts. I still feel secure in my house and no thieve(s) will take these valuable rights away.
On a reminding note, The Abbotsford- Mission Times is presenting: Building an Inclusive, Diverse Community. We are giving our local youth from the ages of 14 to 26 a chance to express their views on how we should build our community. This year’s question is “ What have you done or what can you do to make our community inclusive?” Your entries must be 300 words or less and the deadline will be in early September. Winners will be profiled with there short essays in our diversity supplement. All entries can be email to me at the address below or Times Editor Gord Kurenoff at gkurenoff@abbotsfordtimes.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment