Sharing the love, diversity at AbbyFest
Kulwinder Herar, The Times
Published: Tuesday, September 29, 2009
"Exciting, colourful, inclusive and good friendly family atmosphere," were the words of volunteer Cindy Richard - or respectfully known as an AbbyFest ambassador - describing the second annual Abbotsford Multicultural Festival at the Entertainment and Sports Centre on Saturday.
The day's events got underway around 10 a.m. with the opening ceremonies that included a welcome theme performance by Langley Fine Arts School.
An impressive Parade of Nations followed, led by the Elders of the First Nations, Police Honour Guard, two drummers, local dignitaries and 35 flags carried by children and adults dressed in various national costumes representing the communities in the Fraser Valley.
Hakki, who parachuted with Abbotsford MP Ed Fast on Canada Day to promote this event said: "I was very happy on how the day went and lots of people came with positive feedback.
"People highlighted the fact it is positive to interact with others."
Hakki addressed three powerful ideas in his welcoming address: Love, knowledge and courage. He reminded everyone that it takes courage to use knowledge in a positive manner.
There were many messages from political leaders shared with the crowd, including ones from Prime Minister Stephen Harper, B.C. Lt. Gov. Steven Point, Premier Gordon Campbell, B.C. Attorney General Mike de Jong and Mission Mayor James Atebe
They were five master of ceremonies who took the stage at different times throughout the day: Balan Moorthy, Abbotsford Police Chief Bob Rich, Milt Walker, Mayor George Peary and local city manager Frank Pizzuto.
Some of the morning entertainment included: Spanish Gypse dancing from Scirocco, Bhangra dancing from Bhangra Beat Academy and Scottish dancing from Inverglen. An amazing 27 performances followed in the afternoon.
I had my running shoes on and visited some of the 72 booths on the hardwood floor protecting the ice surface below, which was covered overnight following the Abbotsford Heat's pre-season hockey win against the Manitoba Moose.
My first stop was at the Fraser Valley Chinese Canadian Association booth where I met Daniel Wang, the president of the association. He said they hold approximately four to five local events a year and are "looking to expand in the area."
My second stop was a short distance away at the Conseil Scolaire francophone de la Colombie-Britannique, where I meet Principal Fariba Daragahi, who heads the Ecole des Deux-Rives in Mission.
Then I hopped next door to the B.C.Muslim Association (BCMA) Abbotsford Chapter to see some beautiful girls painting their hands also known as "Henna."
The painting exercise is used for variety of occasions including weddings, festivals and celebrations. I meet Sidrah Ahmad, who explained the Abbotsford chapter is quickly growing and more Muslim families are coming out to the Fraser Valley.
I made a quick visit at the Bahi Faith table and shook hands with Harold Rosen and Cenie Lucas. Across the isle, was the Early Childhood Committee for South Asians, where I met Monica Grover and Pavan and picked up some information on local support groups.
KenHerar@gmail.com
© Abbotsford Times 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment