Giving and sharing opportunities has always been a valuable part of my life. I find in too many cases some people snub others quickly before discovering their unique abilities. Forming and placing limitations on people is shallow and cold-blooded. Don‘t you think? Before you even meet the individual, negative thoughts have already been circulating in your mind. Like a friend once told me; always consider the source. Are people born to be negative? I wonder. But, proving them wrong is like finding a gold mine.
The two most positive people I have met in my life with sound judgment skills are Times Editor Gord Kurenoff and former News Editor Rick Rake; who now works with www.clickmediaworks.com. Both of these editors have worked in the local media industry for many years and are probably the two best editors the Central Fraser Valley as ever seen. These guys have been the best bosses, one could ever desired and inspired me to reach my personal potential. Both men were nominated as Champion of Diversity in separate recent years for the Annual Fraser Valley Cultural Diversity Awards. When I began this writing journey these guys could have snubbed me out to the pastures on day one. But, they didn’t. (Gord and Rick) developed me and inspired me to do more. As Rick has reminded me in the past, “ you’re only good as your last column.” Isn’t that the truth. Ok, maybe I was a slow learner or something, but these guys never judged me for what I was today, rather how would I be like tomorrow. The fact they gave me an opportunity and I have certainly tried to make the best out of this has me searching for more. People who often inspire me, are those, who can inspire others. These two editors have certainly accomplished this. It’s important to keep positive role models within your circle of friends.
If you listen, you’ll learn. This has been one my guiding principles. In public relations, it is essential to keep your ears wide open because so many fantastic ideas get born. For example, last week I was judging the annual awards for the Affiliation of Multicultural Societies & Service Agencies of BC, which I will be presenting in September. I was extremely impressed with the work that was exemplified by all the nominees. It’s inspiring to read how people are helping people and selecting a winner for each category can be a daunting task. But, an honor to say the least. Reading and re-reading nominee’s packages and finally coming to some kind of conclusion can leave your head swirling.
So what are we doing at The Abbotsford Times to be inspirational and positive? Under Editor Kurenoff’s leadership and myself we are presenting: Building an Inclusive, Diverse Community. As a local media organization, we take great pride in our youth, diversity and community. We are giving our young readers (14 to 26) an opportunity to be creative and express their vision in building an inclusive community. This year’s question is “ What have you done or what can you do to make our community inclusive?” An excellent question because it’s core focus is on building relationships. Leaving no one behind. It will hopefully guide how we move forward. As someone opened the door for me into the industry, I would like to hold the door for someone else. Your entries must be 300 words or less and the deadline will be in early September. If you find yourself struggling for an answer, don’t panic tutoring is on it’s way. But don’t tell anyone, ok. Next week, I will be profiling many excellent organizations and events that are happening in our community, who have meet the requirements for our question. Stay tuned. I have also selected the judges, who will be reviewing the essays. All entries can be email to me at the address below or dropped off at The Times office on 30887 Peardonville Rd.
No comments:
Post a Comment