09 2005Stop talking, start walking
By KEN HERAROn Wednesday, I climbed the gruelling, 5,000-step Grouse Grind in Vancouver for the first time in two years.I've been putting off challenging myself on the 2.9 km trek for some time. The Grind is more than just any hill, it's a stairway that challenges the mind and body. It's no stairway to heaven, it's more like hardcore training.Going to the gym and playing tennis like I do doesn't guarantee you'll be in great shape to finish the climb.It takes a certain technique and mindset to master this challenge.I felt a bit of pressure to complete it because our own Abbotsford News editor and Abbotsford In Motion program ambassador Rick Rake was successful climbing the Grind twice last year. He even bought a T-shirt saying:, I survived the Grouse Grind" just to let people like me know that you don't have to be super human to complete the challenge.He doesn't make a big deal about his finishing time, but I am sure it did not set any international records!This week I decided it was time to stop the talking and do the walking.After paying my $3 parking fee when I arrived in North Vancouver, I prepared myself by doing some light stretching at the bottom of the hill.A big sign read there had been a black bear sighting near the area, but that did not deter climbers from going up. I know from past experiences a good pair of running shoes or hiking shoes is highly recommended to handle the rocky terrain.A small backpack to put an extra shirt and your water bottle is also handy. The Grind on this day was busy with many tourists, but it was not crowded. The weather was overcast and the temperature was relatively cool.There are four sections to the Grind, and each one presents different challenges.At the start, I pressed the button on my stopwatch and I was off. In the first few minutes I was okay, and then after about five minutes my heart was pumping madly. I knew then this climb was going to be memorable.Completing the climb alone seems tougher than with a partner who can motive you or distract you from the pain. The first quarter was tough. It featured many aggressive inclines, but I managed to do it in 32 minutes - an average pace. The hill presented many more hurdles in the second quarter, and I was feeling weak in my legs.I was worried that I wasn't going to make it.I stopped several times to regain my composure and my breathing pattern.I reached midpoint at 55 minutes and decided to sit and watch the clusters of climbers for awhile. For the most part Grind-goers are polite and encourage each other to keep going. I told myself not to worry about my finish time, just to keep focused on the hill.In the third quarter I got my second wind and mentally prepared myself for the last and toughest quarter.The Grind has many sharp turns and long steps that made me stretch my legs. I eventually could see the open space at the top of the mountain, which meant I was getting close to the end. When I reached the summit after one hour and 44 minutes (compared to one hour and 10 minutes a few years ago), I was nearly crawling on all fours and was physically exhausted. I had no water left in my bottle. I felt I needed to see a chiropractor because everything seemed out of whack from head to toe. I remember my friend telling me a few years ago that the Grind was like doing a Stair-master. I know the Grind is no exercise machine.When it came time to purchase the $5 ticket for the down ride on the Grouse Mountain gondola, I couldn't wait to go home. I urge all of you who are going to attempt this adventure to prepare yourself physically and take a friend for support. The Grind opens at 6:15 a.m. and closes at 7 p.m. each day during the summer.Besides, like the Abbotsford In Motion physical fitness program tells you, the exercise is good for you.
KenHerar@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment