Sunday, October 25, 2009

A New Journey with the Abby Times and Editor Kurenoff....

As I embark on this new journey as your diversity columnist with the Abbotsford/Mission Times, it’s a time of both reflection and renewal. When I started some 14 years ago, I thought this gig would be for a short time. Well in 2009, I still find myself entrenched on several issues that effect our communities. Residing in one of the most diverse regions of the country, I still see and hear of gaps that need to be closed to make our communities more inclusive. This will be one of my primary goals is to fill these voids, creating that inclusive, diverse community. For the most part, our communities are adapting to diversity in an embracing style. But, from time to time, I still hear unnecessary rambling, which unfortunately result in divisions. We want to continue to build a model that builds bridges, not barriers. I am continuously reminded each and everyday that we all have much more in common than differences as Canadians.
I am excited and thrilled to be reunited with Editor Gord Kurneoff. It was Gord, who invited me into the industry, some 14 years ago. I can share with you that after all these years, I am just as excited about this opportunity as I was in 1995, when I first started with the Abbotsford News. What keeps me going after all these years? Meeting and engaging with people, who are making a difference is highly inspiring and motivating. Being the recipient of the Champion of Diversity Award in 2007, I feel there is a lifetime responsibility to address any misconceptions or barriers that exist between various people. For example, I was approached by a friend, who read one of my column’s a few weeks ago. She said, “ Ken, there are too many of you guys (Indo Canadians) in Abbotsford”. She later added, “ I am not a racist”. Well, you don’t have to be a genius to figure out that after putting these two comments together; this individual was definitely racist in her remarks. Despite, what critics may say, diversity is healthy and prosperous in nation building, which brings us closer together, not further apart. A month never goes by where, I receive an invitation to a diversity function somewhere in our community. There are many organizations and people, who are doing exceptional work on diversity initiatives, making our community more inclusive.
Last week, I attended a dialogue organized by Mission Community Services in partnership with Welcome BC on “ Building More Welcoming and Inclusive Communities and Workplaces”. This was a wonderful opportunity to create a vision for the District of Mission. The discussion was in its first stage (Community Partnerships Development) and comments and suggestions were recorded for further funding, which will be completed this summer. Organizer Meredith Egan said, “ I was very pleased that so many people from the community of Mission came, and engaged so enthusiastically in the discussions. I hope to be able to connect with people involved in businesses in Mission, with educators and youth later this month using 'focus groups”.
“Clearly there is a desire within our community to welcome people when they arrive in our town, and a hope that people feel a sense of belonging here. People spoke very passionately that they love Mission's 'unique sense of connection', and want that to continue as our population grows. They also shared ideas about how we could be helping others be better aware of the services and cultural events in Mission, and we hope to explore some of these more fully”. For more information please contact Meredith at (604) 832 0954 or email her at welcoming.meredith@gmail.com
Another event that is taking place today (May 8) opening at 8:45am at Cascade Community Church called, Cultural Diversity & Disability ‘Working Together in Cultural Harmony’ with keynote speaker Lionel Laroche from MCB Solutions. His presentation will cover creating innovative strategies that combine core social and economic principles to address the impact of cultural differences. He will also discuss how to build effective ethnic focused services and promote the value of diversity. There will be several workshops that will cover various diversity topics and how to effectively converse in a diverse environment.
KenHerar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment