Years of exploring cultural issues:
By KEN HERAR
This week I am celebrating my 10th year anniversary as a columnist with the North American award-winning Abbotsford News. Burning the midnight oil has become a lifestyle for me and some of my most creative thoughts have been made in the early morning hours. These years have slipped by quickly and I hope to go another 10 years, which may be difficult to do. I would like to thank readers for all their positive comments which have made me flourish as a writer and individual. Ten years ago, I was sitting watching television and I thought to myself wouldn't it be a great idea to write a column for the local paper. I phoned former editor Gord Kurenoff and he loved the idea. Earlier, I thought I was heading toward rejection on my proposal. I spoke with him last year to thank him for the opportunity and he replied: Ken you hit a homerun buddy, keep going." My first column appeared on June 24, 1995 and the headline read: Tradition, trends can mix." A decade later, I still feel passionate about column-writing. The only thing that has changed is my picture. The first column was about how Canadian society encourages people to practice their culture and the benefits of a multicultural community. One of the reasons I was offered to write this column is I wanted to provide insight into Indo -Canadian culture. I wanted to show how we can relate more effectively to break down barriers. Over the 10 years, I believe we have made real progress in many areas and discussed several important issues that needed to be addressed in our community. This column wasn't about meeting the rich and famous, it was about common people who make our community better. My parents Tok and Kuldip gave me support when I started writing this column. Dad expressed caution at the beginning but is proud of the fact that I have taken a leadership role and have stayed committed to the project. This week he was awarded a 50-year pin for perfect attendance in Rotary. It's an example of his commitment to the community. My parents are role models in my eyes and through their experiences they have taught me things that I have shared with you as readers. My Dad has always taught me community involvement is important in making a difference. My Mom is the nurturer in the family who taught me to respect everyone regardless what they do for an occupation and think of others before yourself. She is also receiving a community award in the fall for her work in Mission. I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to write this column and I tip my hat to editor Rick Rake and his staff for allowing this to happen. Rick has been a great colleague and at times my most stinging critic, making me work harder to become a better writer. I have reached a milestone, and this column is a keeper for me because it's been a decade of fun and challenges. What I have learned from this exercise is that anything is possible you have to stay committed to see results. As we move forward there is no looking back as to what could have been but more importantly what could be.
KenHerar@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment