Diversity brings challenges that we can conquer
Ken Herar, Special to the TimesPublished: Friday, June 12, 2009
Looking at racism through different eyes can create a blurry painting.
An Indo-Canadian friend recently told me: "Whenever I come home to Abby from Vancouver, I can feel and see racism."
Speaking with some local Caucasian friends, they shared this perspective: "We don't see any divisions here."
Racism has always existed and will continue to have some form of underlying existence. I don't expect everyone to like each other, but hating people because of their religious beliefs or their poor English skills is unacceptable in my books.
I have never denied the fact that racism is multi-dimensional and that we need to educate people to be more accepting as Canadians.
Abbotsford is the third "most diverse city" in the country, according to Statistics Canada, behind Toronto and Vancouver.
Building an inclusive, diverse community is not an easy task. Abbotsford faces some special challenges from other Lower Mainland communities. And the top challenges are religious and language barriers.
I know some people who have moved away from our community because they felt they were being discriminated against on these grounds.
Abbotsford is home to several denominations of faith and churches do some fabulous work. I have enjoyed the privilege of attending several prayer services in many different churches and temples.
Opening my mind to the various interpretations of God has made me appreciate my own spirituality and existence in this world. But, how far can we go in our conversations about God?
Can we truly claim that one philosophy is superior to others without being degrading and offensive?
Unfortunately, this kind of rhetoric occurs here and we need to change how we communicate.
For the record, I respect all the teachings of God and I am not in the position to judge, but learn. Too often it is the other way around and secular divisions are established. To understand the relationship with God, we need to appreciate everything and everybody around us.
If you come across someone who is from a different religious background or a gay/lesbian lifestyle, show them respect. There are approximately 50 languages other than English spoken in Abbotsford homes.
I enjoy people-watching around town. Since we have many new Canadians from around the globe who can't speak fluent English, you may find yourself taking more time at the grocery store, at the bank or at the motor vehicle branch. Don't get frustrated and rude - take the time to understand the situation and assist them, if possible.
Remember that Abbotsford is still in many ways a rural farming town and attracts farmers to reside here.
To create a new vibrant Abbotsford culture, we need to be a little less opinionated and more patient with each other.
KenHerar@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment