I always get a pinched nerve when I hear people say, “ diversity is not working in the community.” I happen to disagree. In most cases these folks who share this opinion are often not involved in the community. People who are on this anti- diversity agenda will never change which is very unfortunate. Its like trying to convince former US President George Bush supporters the war in Iraq was a big mistake. How dare I bring that up. Excuse me. As I have learned over the last two weeks and shared with you throughout the years, diversity is much more diverse than ethnicity. People need to zoom in on the larger, not smaller picture. Sure, they are some issues of communities within communities or language barriers that exist in the smaller picture. As a large based multicultural community these are just minor transition pains. But, in the larger portrait you’ll discover peoples efforts and community events toward building an inclusive, diverse community outweigh anything in the smaller photo.
For example, the amount of requests I receive in my email box to attend and cover various functions is absolutely phenomenal. On September 19th, I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the Celebration of Community at Fraser River Heritage Park in Mission. What a terrific turnout under warm sunny skies. It’s beautiful to see everyone having fun and enjoying diverse community life. I had the opportunity to speak with award winning environmentalist Jim Taylor of Mission at his booth the Stave Valley Salmonid Enhancement Society. Taylor is doing a great job in preserving wetland and wildlife habitat throughout various locations. Environment is an important part of the makeup of diversity and education must be provided to prevent further decay of our global system. Further down, I stopped at the Rotary Club (morning club) booth where I meet President Pamela Alexis and Rotarian Dr Stan Soon. Its great to learn at the international and diverse work Rotary does to assist people at home and around the world. During our conversation they asked where my father was who has fifty years of perfect attendance as a Rotarian. I told them with a giggle he is resting at home and a bit tired after half a century of dedicated service.
What more can I say about the 2nd Annual Multicultural Festival (AbbyFest) held recently in Abbotsford that hasn’t been already said. Its the thousands of people who take time out of there busy schedules to volunteer or come out to the many events such as these mentioned and make the existence of diversity a true reality for everyone. Canadians are measuring up to the Dalai Lama request of more random acts of kindness. As the 2010 vastly approaches Canada is the future where the world connects. As the October 30th deadline for the Abbotsford Times Essay Contest approaches I had the opportunity to speak with Susan Kleinsasser and Pat Christie. Two of the six judges for our event. Kleinsasser said, “ There is no better example of diversity than in our local sports. As a mother of four boys we have been involved in many sports. Many ethnicities are represented and a strong sense of accomplishment by all. Many knowing looks passed as our sons/daughters score or just miss or fall.” Christie said, “ I have the opportunity of meeting the world at my desk every day. The world can become a smaller place, everyday, by making a difference to our world right here where we call home…through the smallest gesture of looking into another’s eyes and greeting a stranger with a smile.”
Award-winning columnist Ken (Kulwinder) Herar can be reached at kenherar@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment