When you look at the cross-river rivalry of Abbotsford/Mission there is no better in the province. I don’t mean sharing in bus transportation, water costs or shopping either. The tax dollars that cross both sides of the bridge on a daily basis are instrumental in sustaining the economic and social development of our communities. We just don’t realize how valuable this crossing is in reaching beyond our borders. Even though I proudly call the District of Mission my hometown, I probably cross the bridge at least 10-12 times a week entering the City of Abbotsford. I also consider the “city in the country” to be my “second home” where I work and play. From a Mission perspective a resident termed it perfectly: “ Mission is like living in North Vancouver and crossing the bridge to Abbotsford is like going to Vancouver.”
Growing up in the 80’s the bridge provided a link for a high school sports rivalry that was unprecedented for an athlete and a fan. The Abby Panthers and Mission Roadrunners, probably two of the most successful athletic varsity programs in the province bringing fierce regional competition. Whether it was basketball, track and field or volleyball the battles that raged between these two schools in the gym or on the field has left ever-lasting scares, which are still discussed over beers today. There hasn’t been three schools (Abby, MEI, Mission) in such close geographical proximity of each other that have been consistently pinned in the Top 10 in boys high school basketball over past decades. I had the privilege of attending high school in Mission and later crossing the river graduating from Abbotsford Senior Secondary.
When BC Premier David Barrett opened the bridge on July 11, 1973, he spoke about the people and the two communities. "This bridge is for people, not for automobiles". He went on to say "to serve and to strengthen communities on both sides of the river and use the bridge with a sense of purpose.” We at The Times are reflecting the former premiers words 36 years later in asking young people from both communities from the ages of (14 to 26) to participate in our Building an Inclusive, Diverse Community. Abbotsford being the third most diverse city in Canada and Mission not to far behind with vast growing population, it is essential for everyone, especially the young people to understand the various diverse relationships that exists in our communities. The mosaic of our communities is evolving consistently and we have to recognize these changes. I was asked recently why I put age restrictions? For as much as I would like to include everyone it is often the young people who provide the gentle understanding and inspiration on how we can grow as a community. Hopefully, next year we can grow this into broader adult age categories hearing from more voices.
In building this strong rivalry I am proposing both Mayors to pitch their support. Last year, all three winners came from Mission and the honorable mention went to Abbotsford. So, here’s are new “contest within a contest.” The city with the most amount of entries has the winning Mayor make a pledge to the losing Mayor in defeat. Any suggestions? Mission Mayor has unofficially agreed and I will be soon speaking with Abbotsford Mayor George Peary. The question is: “ What have you done or what can you do to make our community inclusive?” This is all about having fun and learning about the talents that exist in our communities. All entries must be 300 words or less and can be emailed to me at the address below or dropped off at The Times on Peardonville St.
No comments:
Post a Comment