Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pushing 'send" before brain is activated..

Pushing 'send' before brain is activated
By Ken Herar, The TimesPublished: Friday, June 05, 2009

My mother always taught me that we should try to find the good in everyone - albeit this can be challenging when you are faced with derogatory and racist remarks.
Leaving my e-mail address at the bottom of this column is a symbol of respect, if you will, to our readership. I don't like to lurk in distance shadows where no one can reach me.
I trust people will use this communication tool to their advantage, working together to create an inclusive, diverse community.
I have enjoyed many interesting exchanges and dialogues with readers. Heck, I don't even mind being heckled from time to time.
But, one word of advice before you decide to press the "send" button with your message - try to be respectful and non-racist.
If you choose to disagree with me, your opinions are still welcome. If you decide to be a racist, you're wasting your time and will not get a response. That's my golden rule! My public e-mail address is a racist-free zone.
Generally, readers have conveyed their messages in a non-racist fashion. But, every so often, there is a surprise envelope waiting in my inbox.
This past week, I probably encountered the most racist e-mails ever. Honestly, it made my blood boil and made me angry.
The individual who claims to be Fijian - which is part of the greater Indo-Canadian family - attacks Canadians of Sikh origin.
His page-long e-mail blasts the Sikh community. He calls them "ragheads," and suggests they go back to cleaning toilets or back to India. He also suggests that Fijian's are "much better than ragheads."
As a Canadian of Sikh descent, I am deeply offended by these racist remarks. The Fijian community, which has many exceptional members in Canada, doesn't need representation from a man who is clearly in need of help.
He also takes the time to poke personal shots at me throughout the e-mail asking me to go work in the berry fields.
To tell you the truth, I would love to - and I deeply admire the people who do the farming in this area.
Racists have empty and delusional minds with no clear outlook. What do you think they really accomplish? Nothing.
Hecklers have tried to shake my feathers many times throughout my writing career, but I have proven that my endurance and passion toward building an inclusive, diverse community is much stronger than anything they can offer to this discussion.
Canadians from Sikh origin are hardworking citizens, who are making a difference in our communities worldwide. Throughout, my travels in Canada or the United States, I have met many Sikhs who are excelling and contributing back to their respective communities.
KenHerar@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment