Sunday, October 25, 2009

Racism in the Fraser Valley

Looking at racism from different eyes can create a blurry painting. An Indo Canadian friend recently shared some insight. “ Ken, whenever I come home to Abby from Vancouver, I can feel and see racism”. Speaking with some local Caucasian friends they had this to say, “ Ken, we don’t see any divisions here”. Unfortunately, racism has always existed and will always have some form of underlying existence. I don’t expect everyone to like each other, but hating people because of their religious beliefs or their poor command on the English language is unacceptable in my books. I have never denied the fact that racism is multi-dimensional and we need to educate people to be more accepting as Canadians or when they come to Canada.
Abbotsford is the third most diverse city in the country, according to a Statistics Canada, behind Toronto and Vancouver. Building an inclusive, diverse community is not always an easy task. Abbotsford faces some special challenges from other Lower mainland communities. Two that come to mind are religious and language barriers. I know many people, who have moved away from our community because they felt they were being discriminated on these issues. Abbotsford is home to several denominations of faith and churches do some fabulous work in our community. Don’t get me wrong. I have enjoyed the privilege of attending several prayer services in many different churches and temples. Opening my mind to the various interpretations of God has made me appreciate my own spirituality and existence in this world. But, how far can we go in our conversations on God? Can we truly claim that one philosophy is superior to others without being degrading and offensive? Unfortunately, this kind of rhetoric occurs here and we need to change how we communicate with each other. For the record, I respect all the teachings of God and I am not in the position to judge, but learn. Too often it is the other way around and secular divisions are established. To understand the relationship with God, we need to appreciate everything and everybody around us. If you come across someone, who is from a different religious background or gay/lesbian lifestyle, show them respect. Someone once shared that they are many ways to God.
They’re approximately 50 languages other than English spoken in Abbotsford homes. I enjoy people watching around town. Since, we have many new Canadians from around the globe, who can’t speak fluent English you may find yourself taking more time at the grocery store, at the bank or at the motor vehicle branch. Don’t get all frustrated, take the time to understand or assist them. Remember that Abbotsford is still in many ways a rural farming town and it attracts farmers to reside here. Many new Canadians come from rural parts, where English is not always commonly spoken.
To create a new vibrant Abbotsford, we need to be a little less opinionated and more patient with each other.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Fraser Valley Indo Canadian Business Association is having their 22nd Annual Scholarship Night on June 19th at the Gian Sweet Shop and Restaurant at 6pm in Abbotsford. There will be six students enrolled in Grade 12, who will receive a $1,000 scholarship from several local high schools
The FVICBA was established in 1987, and have always recognized the importance of education in allowing students to reach their full potential and abilities. Keynote speaker will include Honorable Judge Gurmail Gill, Associate Chief Justice of the Provincial Court of British Columbia, who will be delivering a presentation entitled “The Value of Education in a Free and Democratic Society”. For ticket information contact Amirk M.Narang at 604 853 5401 or 604 897 7923.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This Father’s Day, I will be participating in the ‘Tie ‘em up for men’ Walk/Run for Prostate Cancer at Burnaby Lake on June 21st. My team (88 Blue Laces) lead by Team leader Katherine Peikert, are trying to raise money to fight this deadly disease along with the other of thousands of participates. Prostate cancer affects 1 in 7 men throughout their lifetime. I am looking for people to make a pledge in my quest. If you feel you would like to make a donation contact me at my email address below. A tax receipt will be issued. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment