Official Report of DEBATES OF THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
(Hansard)
MONDAY, MARCH 27, 1995
Afternoon Sitting
[ Page 13043 ]
Volume 18, Number 5
The House met at 2:05 p.m.
Prayers.
Hon. M. Harcourt: It is with sadness that I rise today to ask all colleagues to join with me in asking the Speaker to forward our condolences to the family and friends of Monique Caritey, who passed away Friday in Vancouver. Ms. Caritey, I'm sure you will all remember, was a journalist in Vancouver with the French service of the CBC for over 20 years. She was born in France just about 50 years ago. She started her journalism career in Lyons with the daily le Progress. After moving to Vancouver in the mid-1960s, she joined the Company of Young Canadians, and in 1970 joined CUSO to teach French and English in Mali.
I think that expresses the essence of Monique, and I think those of you who had the pleasure of knowing her would know that she did have that tremendous international sense about her.
When she returned to Vancouver, she went to work with the current affairs program at Radio Canada, and soon after moved to the TV newsroom. As well, she was a legislative reporter, and, although based in Vancouver -- to show you the respect she received from her colleagues -- she was a full member of the Victoria press gallery for years. Monique covered three provincial election campaigns and, as many of you are aware, numerous NDP, Social Credit and Liberal conventions.
She was always active in her community. She served on the board of day care societies, a food co-op and many journalism organizations. She was also a very good sportsperson -- an avid kayaker and a good skier.
She will be missed by her husband and high school sweetheart, Pierre Caritey, and by her daughter Odelle, her son Rama and so many friends and colleagues by whom she was respected and loved.
D. Lovick: Mr. Speaker, on your behalf today I want to welcome a group of students and their chaperons visiting us from Olympia, Washington. They are taking part in what I understand is a Rotary exchange. Their chaperons are Jim Sigitowicz and Joe Beaulieu, and the students' names are Bryann Lee, Kim Vandelsen, Nicole Coleman, Nathan Chateaubriand and Rohit Rohila. There is also in their group a Belgian exchange student by the name of Edith Vincke. I ask all my colleagues to please make them welcome, wherever they are.
G. Campbell: I'd like to ask the House to welcome Cass Willem and her son, David, to the precinct today. Cass has been very active in the city of Vancouver and was one of the driving forces behind the effort to save the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. I'd like us to make her welcome.
M. de Jong: Joining us in the precincts today from Mission are Mr. and Mrs. Ken Herar. Mr. Herar is the president of the growing group of Liberals in that riding
No comments:
Post a Comment