Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bruce Allen's Controversy..

Is our society diverse?
By KenHerar
Oct 05 2007
All this public controversy over Bruce Allen's so called racist comments on radio a few weeks ago comes at a pivotal point in our discussion on building an inclusive diverse community. Allen a popular controversial media personality in Vancouver is someone who I have occasionally listened to over the years. Like him or not he does makes sense on some issues that need a straightforward solution.
Maybe his approach isn't so tactful, but he does deserve credit for speaking his mind. This incident draws similar comparisons to the incident in a Los Angles comedy club where Micheal Richards insulted blacks while on stage and attracted national attention, eventually apologizing for his behavior.
The controversy came on CKNW on September 13 when Allen stated, â few unhappy immigrants should shut up and fit in or leave the country. There's the door. If you don't like the rules, hit it. We don't need you here. You have another place to go: its called home. See ya! These remarks along with a few others brought protest from many communities asking him to apologize. I never had the opportunity to listen to his program that day, but his choice of wording appear to be harsh and insensitive.
To put it simply this is Bruce Allen at his finest hour and doing what he does extremely well. His rant and rave sessions are designed to get audiences fuming. His audiences are often not the sharpest tools in the shed. Do I believe Allen was being racist in his remarks? I would say he is on the cutting edge and could have used better judgment and wording to deliver his radio message.
If I said, follow the rules of this country would I consider myself to be racist? Hopefully not, and I don't consider myself to be a redneck. This could also have a variety of different connotations, how one talks or dresses in public. B.C. Attorney General Wally Oppal also thought he could have used, a couple of words were inappropriate.
What I believe Allen should do is clarify what is intentions were in his remarks, which I believe he already has publicly in the Vancouver Sun with no formal apology yet. This situation is a reminder that we all need to be sensitive in our remarks living in multicultural country. What and how we say things can be misinterpreted by those around us. People should refrain themselves from making racial jokes or being religiously and culturally intolerant.
An important step in building an inclusive diverse community is we need to show respect how we communicate with each other. He may not of offended me, but obviously offended many others in his remarks.
What I believe Allen is trying to demonstrate through his blasting volcanic language is building that inclusive diverse community in Canada. What should be learned here is that nations are not built on arrogance and intimidation, but on a belief that there is a mutual understanding between common people. Canada has been built on diversity from citizens from all over the world and it is our responsibility as Canadians to be inclusive even through our differences.
We all need to make an effort to become better Canadians. In a couple of weeks the Abbotsford News Diversity Challenge participants will demonstrate this very cause through their writings, how to build that inclusive, diverse community. Allen could take a few tips from these young writers how inclusiveness can be discussed civilly and respectfully. I hope this issue gets resolved as quickly as possible before any further damage is inflicted so we can discuss the real issues in our communities.
As a good friend told me, âlways consider the source and you' ll find the answers.
Ken Herar is a Black Press reporter based in Abbotsford.

No comments:

Post a Comment