Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Auctioning myself off for Charity..





Bachelor bidding wars at charity auction

By KenherarMay 04 2007

You tried speed dating, Internet or matrimonial ads in the paper. How about something new and exciting?
Last weekend at the Ocean Beach Club & Grill in White Rock, 13 eligible bachelors were auctioned off raising money for the South Fraser Women's Services Society.
When I was asked to participate in this event I had my doubts. When the organizers told me it was for a charity helping victims of domestic violence, I agreed to put my body on the line.
I've done some crazy things but this tops the list. The event was organized by Kismet Connections, a Vancouver-based singles networking agency.
Weeks prior to the event I hit the gym toning any muscle that may appear through my shirt, hopefully skyrocketing my value.
Last Saturday, I entered the club to witness a small crowd gathered inside and I thought, Hey, I can do this.
The fellow bachelors and members from the audience were encouraging, knowing this event was for a worthy cause.
Some bachelors had the jitters before the event. I asked myself how much is my life really worth? I was hoping more than 20 bucks and some change.
The bachelors came from a multicultural mix and from all walks of life. Every bachelor bought a plastic wrist band remembering the women who were killed in domestic violence incidents.
Shortly after 7 p.m. the club started to fill up with curious onlookers and people who bought tickets to see these 13 worthy men do a little shake, rattle and roll. Every bachelor was given a date package from a horse ride through Stanley Park to a river cruise on the Fraser.
Let the bidding begin.
The role call came and it was time to do the catwalk dance. The first bachelor was called up and the crowd was screaming.
The bids were going high and after a few minutes he was sold. Every bachelor was being bought at a high price. I was praying the market wouldn't crash for me.
Some of the bachelors showed their special talents singing and dancing for the bidders. After an hour my name was called – the last bachelor (hopefully) to be sold.
It was time to show the pipes. I was surprised the crowd still had a lot of energy and enthusiasm. The bids started high and got even higher when host JD Dhaliwal announced to the audience that I once met former U.S. President Bill Clinton. Thanks to Bubba my value went up considerably.
Maybe bidders thought Bill was part of the package.
After a few minutes, I was sold for a price that surprised me. You couldn’t have bought hockey playoff ticket for that price. I was humbled.
Altogether we raised $3,400 for the South Fraser Women's Services Society. (Related story, Page B6)
This program allows women to access legal information and advocacy in the area of family law separation, divorce, custody, access and child support. Last year 588 women accessed the program.
I was honored to be part of this worthy event. I hope the organizers and supporter continue their efforts in building a better society.
To learn more about the South Fraser Women’s Services Society, go to their website at www.sfwomensservices.com
Ken Herar is a columnist for the Abbotsford News. He lives in Mission.
© Copyright 2007 Peace Arch News

No comments:

Post a Comment