Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Figure this out..

Ken,
I am happy to see that you too are disturbed to see the amount of garbage in the street. I am a long time resident of the community and can't say I am thrilled with some of the values that have come to our community along with its diversity. I used to spend most of my exercise time riding my bike along the rural streets of Abbotsford. What I saw in the ditches appalled me. To some people having a clean car is more important than having a clean environment hence the McDonalds or Tim Horton's garbage goes out the window. You refer to the people who people who pick up the garbage as "Heroes" I contend that the opposite to a "Hero" is a "Villain". A few years a go my teenage daughter and I were returning home and as we drove into our subdivision I noticed in my rear view mirror the kids in the following car throwing their McDonalds garbage out the window. I stopped immediately and went back to talk to the boys. They were four well dressed, respectful East Indian boys on their lunch break from High School. I asked them if they would throw garbage out in front of their own home to which they replied no they wouldn't. Then I told them to pick up the garbage which they did. I thanked them and returned to my car. My daughter was horrified by the whole event, she was afraid that the boys may have had guns and would retaliate! It hadn't occurred to me that High School students were packing heat. I don't spend much time riding on the roads now although I am still sickened by the amount of garbage that ends up in the ditches. Now I do my riding on McKee Peak or Sumas Mountain on the trails where there are no cars or McDonalds bags. In your column you mention Diwali. I expect that once again we will see young people celebrating Diwali with Fireworks and Fire Crackers, which happen to be against the law here. This will leave more garbage in the streets and parks. I guess my point is that the different values that different cultures bring to the community bring stresses that affect the way people are treated. I am from here and expect people to behave in a certain way. For all I know where they come from it is normal and accepted to throw garbage from the window of their car. It's not the people I don't like, it's what they do that I don't like.
Peace,
Roy Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment