Diversity now recognized, celebrated
Ken Herar, Special to the TimesPublished: Tuesday, November 03, 2009
The Times essay contest officially closed last week. Let me extend my appreciation to Times publisher Fred Armstrong and editor Gord Kurenoff for their support in allowing me to reach out to our local youth.
There is no greater reward when you can encourage and guide someone to become a better community individual.
In the last four months, several young people have approached me for advice on their presentations. I am really taken back by this.
The enthusiasm our youth have put in their projects represents a brighter tomorrow for our community.
I recall a special moment this summer when four attendants at a McDonald's drive-thru came running to the window to ask me about their essays. All I wanted was a cheeseburger.
This is my third year hosting this event and it's become very popular with high school students.
I am extremely proud of the work they have submitted and they have recognized the cause that still endures.
Unfortunately, not everyone will be a winner, but I won't forget names and faces of those who participated.
We will feature the top three winners and an honourable mention along with their essays in the Times on Nov. 20.
This year's winner will receive an evening at the Fraser Valley Cultural Diversity Awards, held March 5 in Abbotsford.
Diversity is not just about finding differences, but what we establish through these diverse connections.
Someone recently commented that diversity has always existed.
Yes, it has, but now we recognize and celebrated it as part of our Canadian roots. We are constantly developing and our past and present judgments will shape are future destiny.
I met a childhood friend who I haven't seen in years. I was happy to see him and we chatted for a few minutes.
During our conversation he surprised me. He said: "Ken, I read your columns and wanted to apologize for an incident during school. I am not sure if you remember; I made some racial remarks."
I couldn't pinpoint the exact incident, but obviously he wanted to get that off his chest.
Just as these young brave souls share their brilliant minds they remind us that it is important to eliminate racism. It's that simple childhood quality that we all learned in school that sometimes we overlook.
In the final analysis, the biggest issue that I have gathered from this experience in building an inclusive, diverse community is our lack of knowledge.
We have to stop being so shallow and open our minds and you will be amazed at what you discover.
It is often this lack of knowledge that creates misunderstandings and racism.
Contact Herar at kenherar@gmail.com or see his blog at www.kenherar.blogspot.com
© Abbotsford Times 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment