Nov 20 2003
It's time to get involved again
By Ken Herar
As the New Year slowly approaches it is time to get excited about new things.
In eight-and-a-half months Abbotsford will host the B.C. Summer Games, guided by a capable team of 15 directors led by Milt Walker.
The excitement is building around town quickly and preparations are being made for this to be the best B.C. Summer Games ever for athletes across this province!
The July 15-18 sports spectacle is something that is close to my heart as I have competed on six different occasions. They are a learning experience for athletes who travel to various communities across this province and compete in their respective sports.
This feature makes the Games special: travelling to different cities and enjoying the hospitality of the host city. The Games experience has a lasting effect on athletes throughout their lives.
The Games are not only about competition, but are also about meeting new people and having fun. Every time I competed at the Games I have met an endless amount of friends with whom I have kept in touch with over the years.
The first time I competed away from home was in 1985 at the Games in Victoria. That experience helped me build character, but the Games are also a beautiful way to promote our province and cities to athletes who may never get a chance to travel to various B.C. destinations.
The City of Abbotsford has a proven track record, as it hosted the 1995 Western Canadian Games and the 2002 Disability Games, something which the citizens of this fine city should be proud of.
Abbotsford is known as one of the best sports towns in this province and for having some of the best, modern facilities for athletes. There is no better choice than Abbotsford to host the Games next year.
It takes some 4,000 volunteers to host the Games.
Volunteers will not only come from Abbotsford but from surrounding communities such as Aldergrove for it to be a success.
The benefits for the area are enormous. I have decided to become a volunteer next year with the team of 60 people specifically required for the Games' News Services, chaired by the editor of the Abbotsford News, Rick Rake.
The Games have given me so much in terms of character building that I wanted to give back.
Looking back at my experiences at the Games I have been fortunate to win six medals in tennis but never the gold and I am very thankful for that opportunity. By becoming a volunteer, I see myself involved in a gold medal experience.
I would like to encourage all of you to get involved by volunteering in any capacity to make this the best B.C. Summer Games yet.
Volunteerism brings pride to the area and neighbouring communities like Aldergrove.
It shows that we have real people who care about others in an unselfish way.
During the Games, Abbotsford will be host more than 3,000 athletes from every corner of this province. We hope to see you there!
© Copyright 2007 Aldergrove Star
No comments:
Post a Comment