Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Respected and much admired Editor Gord (Gordwinder) Kurenoff a true friend of diversity...

Farewell to friend, mentor
Ken Herar, The Times
Published: Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Before you start reading this, many of you may already be aware that Times editor Gord Kurenoff is leaving us at the end of this week to join The Vancouver Sun.
Friday is Gordo's final day at the Peardonville office and for me that's sad stuff.
I first met Gord in 1983, when he was a young sports reporter in Mission. In that era, he covered many of my tennis accomplishments, always impressing me with his fairness and clever humour.
I phoned him in 1995, when he was editor of the Abbotsford News, about the possibilities of becoming a columnist. He loved the idea and the rest became history for the making. I had the privilege of working with him for a few years at The News until the late '90s, when he left to join the sports desk in Toronto at the brand new National Post daily newspaper.
I reconnected with Kurenoff approximately nine months ago. I phoned him just like I did 14* years ago and told him I would love the opportunity to work with him again. He immediately embraced the idea and gave me this wonderful opportunity to join the crew at the Abbotsford-Mission Times.
When you meet people who inspire you, keep them close. Kurenoff has not only inspired me, but more importantly also encouraged me to succeed.
I recall knocking on several doors in 1995 to get this gig like some television game-show contestant trying to win a prize. Luckily enough, a door opened with Kurenoff welcoming me with open arms.
In all my years as a columnist, the past nine months here have probably been the most intense and enjoyable.
Kurenoff has always shown faith in me, allowing me to pursue several initiatives showcasing our communities' many talents.
For example, the Times' essay contest Building An Inclusive Diverse Community - which just recently wrapped up - was a huge success. He has always been a friend of diversity and understands that it is essential to get out of the newsroom and meet with members in the community to understand the dynamics of the issues.
Kurenoff did just that when we both had the opportunity to speak at the Dasmesh Punjabi School, encouraging students to participate in our contest.
I have also been extremely fortunate to have worked with award-winning former Abbotsford News editor Rick Rake for a number of years, who is recognized as a respected community builder and a trusted journalist for some 30 years.
Kurenoff and Rake both worked together at The News during the peaks of their careers, leading one of the best-ever powerhouse newsrooms in B.C. community newspapers. I will always remain thankful to these mentors, who gave me this priceless opportunity to touch so many lives.
What makes them successful? They listen and they didn't apply structure in specifically asking me to write exclusively on South Asian issues, which would be a huge mistake. My purpose, if you will, has always been to promote diversity, but also recognize how we all can become better Canadians, regardless of colour.
In my last phone conversation with Kurenoff, he shared some interesting statistics with me: "The readership numbers have never been higher at the Times and that has something with you writing for us, my friend."
He wrote this last touching e-mail: "Having you join the Times was a no-brainer - you honestly promote diversity every waking hour and walk the talk. Having you spread the good word to our readers is awesome and more credible than someone not known for doing this."
He added: "What I also liked was the fact you weren't afraid to get your hands messy, to make people think, to make people react and to make people do the right thing when common sense didn't seem so common.
"It's now up to you, Air India to carry the torch. And never let the critics get you down."
Columnist Ken Herar writes for the Abbotsford-Mission Times. To comment, e-mail him at KenHerar@gmail.com.
© Abbotsford Times 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment