Less than a year ago, Deesh Sekhon a mother and photographer who
resides in Abbotsford, BC had her eyes opened to the issue of
Gendercide. Gendercide is the elimination of specific gender, in this
case, girls through infanticide, sex-selective abortions, neglect or
murder to avoid a deep-set custom in Indian culture, paying dowry to
future husbands' families. Its difficult to comprehend this still
exist in our global society today. All I can say is, " Shame, Shame
and Shame on those who choose to hurt innocent children".
It broke her heart to realize what was happening in many parts of the
world. The more she read the more disturbing it became. “Girls were
being abandoned in the streets left to meet their deaths just because
they were born a girl. I was left feeling hopeless, sad and defeated.
This issue was epic, how could I possibly make a difference,” said
Sekhon. As each day passed she continued to read and shared her
stories online.
Throughout her discoveries, she saw a little glimmer of hope. There
was a very special home in Punjab that was doing amazing work with
baby girls that were being abandoned, uncared for and unwanted by
their parents.
Unique Home in India is run by a wonderful woman named Prakash Kaur,
she and her assistants together help raise approximately 60 girls.
She rescues girls from the sides of the roads, garbage bins, fields
and some leave their unwanted baby girls in the provided cradle.
After speaking with the orphanage Sekhon launched her “Save A Girl”
campaign to help raise awareness on this issue as well as to collect
personal care items and clothing for these girls. “It was a small
step, but that step helped me heal on the inside”.
“These girls reminded me of myself and the what “ifs” began echoing in
my head and what if it was me. I was given the opportunity at a
fulfilling life in a beautiful country, the very least I could do was
be a voice for them”.
With the help of her family, friends and the community the “Save A
Girl” campaign raised just under 1500 items that were hand delivered
to the girls by her relatives. Since that time, She continues to
raise awareness and have discussions via social media on what could be
done on this issue. She has yet to travel to India, however, she
claims her first trip to India is going to have so much purpose. “I
look forward to meeting these girls and being inspired by them to do
more”.
This past September Sekhon launched GirlKind Foundation. A non-profit
organization that is serving as a great platform to help bring an end
to gendercide, gender discrimination and help support abandoned girls
all over the world. The goal is to continue to raise awareness on this
issue, create dialogue and motivate people to change. “Changing
cultural values is going to take time, dedication, awareness and
education. Nine months ago, I would of have never imagined sitting in
the position I am today, but I feel I am doing my part to bring an end
to this,"said Sekhon.
One of the first events GirlKIND held was a premiere screening of the
much anticipated documentary, “It’s A Girl.”. The evening was filled
with guest speakers and artists. People left very informed and
inspired to make a difference. This is just the beginning and more is
in the planning to create the necessary change needed says Sekhon..

No comments:
Post a Comment