Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Cycling4Diversity tackles the growing concerns of ethnic sports teams.




Cycling4Diversity was created last year when I decided to form a team
to spread the message that we need not only speak about diversity, but
also take a closer look at whether we are celebrating or just talking
about it. The C4D initiative is about promoting intercultural dialogue
which is something I believe we have deviated away from within Canada
. Over the last several years, I have received feedback from readers
that show there are some growing issues which need to be addressed
within our neighbourhoods, workplaces and schools. As being an athlete
myself, I have been noticing many of our sporting teams are starting
to become more and more segregated where ethnic groups are forming
their own teams and leagues. Is this a bad thing or a good thing? In
my own personal opinion, this potentially could become a growing
concern for the future. As our communities become more multicultural,
the very components that we use to promote and celebrate diversity are
the same ones that are isolating us.

Many years ago, I was part of a South Asian soccer team and enjoyed
playing with them very much. A few years ago, a former member of the
Canadian National Soccer Team approached me and mentioned that South
Asians should be representing the town in which they reside and not
isolating themselves or having their own clubs. What he later
expressed, is that they are some of the most talented players within
our communities.

The issue with ethnic leagues or any form of ethnic clubs, is that it
limits our outreach in a multicultural society. Our focus should be on
more integrated teams and activities on and off the field which will
in turn strengthen our relationships in all sectors in how we live so
it doesn't become an "us vs them" situation.

Many people supported the concept of C4D last year. They were excited
about how we delivered a message in a unique way that captured the
imagination of many British Columbians. I was encouraged to do it
again this year and in the process the initiative has grown
tremendously. C4D is reflected by a team of individuals who believe in
the message of diversity, culture and the need to address issues
regarding racism. This year the team received 8 proclamations from
local governments and the province of British Columbia .

A number of students along the way asked, “How long have you all known
each other?” The riders responded that many of us only met the morning
of the ride. This proves that in order to work together to accomplish
something positive, people don‘t have to know one another.

Diversity is about working as a team, and I’m grateful that I had the
opportunity to work with such fine individuals who are passionate
about building a vibrant multicultural society. The support from local
service providers and sponsors were incredible. I was deeply moved to
see how many people believed in this important message that we were
honoured to carry throughout our communities. The C4D initiative is
committed in celebrating diversity and discussing issues throughout
the rest of the year: " Building bridges of dialogue, one city at a
time."

No comments:

Post a Comment