Sunday, January 1, 2012

Freddy Latham supporting our discussion and Cycling4Diversity from her webpage






Diversity….topic of discussion on TV the other night with show host Harpreet Singh and guests Rick Rake and Ken Herar.

There are some very good ongoing projects like Cycling for Diversity, Abbyfest, City/School District programs. Projects are a good way to start the dialogue. However I agree with Rick when he said, ‘We can always do better.’ As an adult ESL teacher many years ago, I quickly learned that my students wanted time outside of class to socialize and get to know each other better. In some cases these groups of people made the effort to open their homes and invite fellow students over for coffee and conversation. I always felt that this kind of interaction and the dialogue that ensued went a long way in creating understanding among different cultures. So I guess the point is that when an event is scheduled…find ways to encourage further dialogue and interaction. It must be a balancing act for many newcomers to Canada to preserve their own culture while embracing another. I’ve never felt that you should ever give up one culture for another although with each successive generation that must be a source of concern in many families. To preserve your culture while living in another would be a balancing act.

Diversity is something we all share and so providing opportunities to spend time together learning about each other becomes important especially in our Abbotsford community. There is much work to be done in our schools and in our community to embrace diversity. I would like to see more opportunities to learn about other cultures through our schools. Informal afterschool and evening meet and greets might strengthen the understanding of diversity as well as make stronger connections in neighbourhoods. When I grew up, we knew everyone on the block not the most multi cultural neighbourhood but certainly diverse religious backgrounds. Everyone played together, inclusion just happened. Not sure it is like that anymore.

So thanks Ken and Rick for reminding all of us to take note…understanding diversity doesn’t just happen, we need to talk about it.

I look forward to the Diwali Celebration at Rick Hansen on Oct. 22 to learn more about the Indo Canadian Culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment