
Cycling4Diversity: All worth the message
Well, the first leg of our Cycling for Diversity was a tremendous success. After 14 stops in the Mission-Abbotsford area and seven schools visits, the team with a valuable Canadian message this Victoria long weekend is keeping the pace towards the provincial capital.
There were a few challenging hills and some sore legs, but we all arrived at our scheduled destinations on time, had many inspiring discussions in classrooms with our youth and an upbeat party at Canada Safeway on South Fraser Way, which generously supplied all the cyclists with food and refreshments.
Customers were given cake and were entertained by Korean drummers and Bhangra dancers. I would like to thank the team members for operating as a unit, which resulted in no one getting left behind in our tracks. From start to finish, we will be making 25 stops in our 11-city tour with overnight stays in Langley, Burnaby and Delta.
We started planning for this trip in March after a small group of us gathered in a coffee shop in Abbotsford. One of the members suggested a cycle trip would be perfect on World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development (May 21).
Like the many people out there, I had no idea a day like this even existed on the calendar. As someone who has been focusing on diversity topics for the past 16 years, I thought this would be a terrific way to celebrate both people and culture. We all agreed that a cycling journey to the provincial capital would be a fabulous expedition.
When I speak to Canadians about cultural diversity they usually get excited. Where else in the world can we share our unique cultures and still live peacefully as neighbours?
Nothing comes to my immediate attention more then where all global citizens can celebrate together as one, regardless of your race and religion.
On the United Nations website it outlines the following description: "The World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development provides us with an opportunity to deepen our understanding of the values of cultural diversity and to learn to 'live together' better."
The best way to follow the UN mandate and build an inclusive community is to actually celebrate our many cultures that exist within our communities. The more we celebrate, the greater understanding we create. Multiculturalism will always be a work in progress. In order for it to work effectively everyone has to participate equally. We should never overlook this valuable fact.
One of the main reasons I decided to take on this ride is to share in a discussion that, as a columnist, I am hearing more and more from readers that our communities are facing isolation issues. This concerns me. I feel I have a responsibility to discuss these kinds of topics. Yes, cultural diversity is working.
Can it work better? Absolutely.
The core principles of our journey are teamwork, sharing and reaching out to celebrate what we have accomplished as Canadians. In two days our team will arrive at the Legislature building in Victoria to celebrate World Day for Cultural Diversity and we are very excited. I have many people to thank and I will do that in an upcoming column.
But, I would like to acknowledge Wentings Cycle and Mountain Shop in Mission for loaning me the bike for this 200-plus kilo-metre trek.
We will be raising funds to purchase the bike and donate it to someone in need.
Donations can be made to Envision Financial, account #45771128 (Mission Branch).
-Ken Herar is a columnist for the Abbotsford-Mission Times. Contact him at kenherar@gmail.com.
There were a few challenging hills and some sore legs, but we all arrived at our scheduled destinations on time, had many inspiring discussions in classrooms with our youth and an upbeat party at Canada Safeway on South Fraser Way, which generously supplied all the cyclists with food and refreshments.
Customers were given cake and were entertained by Korean drummers and Bhangra dancers. I would like to thank the team members for operating as a unit, which resulted in no one getting left behind in our tracks. From start to finish, we will be making 25 stops in our 11-city tour with overnight stays in Langley, Burnaby and Delta.
We started planning for this trip in March after a small group of us gathered in a coffee shop in Abbotsford. One of the members suggested a cycle trip would be perfect on World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development (May 21).
Like the many people out there, I had no idea a day like this even existed on the calendar. As someone who has been focusing on diversity topics for the past 16 years, I thought this would be a terrific way to celebrate both people and culture. We all agreed that a cycling journey to the provincial capital would be a fabulous expedition.
When I speak to Canadians about cultural diversity they usually get excited. Where else in the world can we share our unique cultures and still live peacefully as neighbours?
Nothing comes to my immediate attention more then where all global citizens can celebrate together as one, regardless of your race and religion.
On the United Nations website it outlines the following description: "The World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development provides us with an opportunity to deepen our understanding of the values of cultural diversity and to learn to 'live together' better."
The best way to follow the UN mandate and build an inclusive community is to actually celebrate our many cultures that exist within our communities. The more we celebrate, the greater understanding we create. Multiculturalism will always be a work in progress. In order for it to work effectively everyone has to participate equally. We should never overlook this valuable fact.
One of the main reasons I decided to take on this ride is to share in a discussion that, as a columnist, I am hearing more and more from readers that our communities are facing isolation issues. This concerns me. I feel I have a responsibility to discuss these kinds of topics. Yes, cultural diversity is working.
Can it work better? Absolutely.
The core principles of our journey are teamwork, sharing and reaching out to celebrate what we have accomplished as Canadians. In two days our team will arrive at the Legislature building in Victoria to celebrate World Day for Cultural Diversity and we are very excited. I have many people to thank and I will do that in an upcoming column.
But, I would like to acknowledge Wentings Cycle and Mountain Shop in Mission for loaning me the bike for this 200-plus kilo-metre trek.
We will be raising funds to purchase the bike and donate it to someone in need.
Donations can be made to Envision Financial, account #45771128 (Mission Branch).
-Ken Herar is a columnist for the Abbotsford-Mission Times. Contact him at kenherar@gmail.com.
© Copyright (c) Abbotsford Times
No comments:
Post a Comment