
Hub a great start, but more work needed
The City of Abbotsford celebrated a historical occasion on Feb. 23 at the Matsqui Recreation Centre.
A large crowd gathered in the middle of the afternoon wearing pink to celebrate anti-bullying day and to witness the opening of the Intercultural Hub in West Abbotsford. It was an exciting day despite the cold windy weather for many community partners and spectators.
The MRC is the Intercultural Hub identified by the city and partners under the Abbotsford Building Connections Project, which aims to increase social and cultural awareness of different ethno-cultural and faith communities.
Funded by the federal government (Abbotsford received $434,000), the partners include the City of Abbotsford, School District 34, University of the Fraser Valley and Abbotsford Community Services.
Speakers for the day included: Abbotsford Mayor George Peary, Abbotsford Member of Parliament Ed Fast, School Trustee Korky Neufeld, Parks, Recreation & Culture Commission Chair Lynne Harris, Abbotsford Community Services manager Manpreet Grewal, founder of AbbyFest Musleh Hakki and on short notice Abbotsford Deputy Police Const. Rick Lucy.
When I was asked by local diversity coordinator, Med Manzanal to be the master of ceremonies, I was honoured by her request. I couldn't resist.
I know people around town like to refer me as Mr. Diversity and that is fine.
But I see myself more as a community builder in bridging this cultural gap, which I've been doing for years. Talking and writing about diversity is fine.
But, it has to be in conjunction with how we build intercultural awareness. You cannot have one without the other.
Both hands need to be working together. This is something we haven't done very well.
Feedback I receive from readers on a regular basis suggests many are concerned about this growing isolation.
This is now about to change.
The new Intercultural Hub will hopefully address many of these issues in a respectable manner. But, for it to be successful, people need to join in and take part in the upcoming discussions.
My official MC duties lasted about 45 minutes. I first introduced the (IYYA) group from the Abbotsford Community Services and they performed a moving dance mix of African and Indian beats. After the speeches and ribbon cutting, guests were treated to some light snacks and mingling.
Some of the guests later went upstairs into the Hub room and participated in the first Conversation Circle.
I happened to be one of them. What a experience to listen to some of the amazing stories.
I met Jean Pierre Martin, who was representing the Francophone Society of Abbotsford and Fraser Valley. He said the Fraser Valley is in its first stage and looking for people interested in being part of committee. They can do so by calling 604-615-7475.
I would also like to acknowledge the city staff who decorated the hall and organized this event. You guys and gals did a fantastic job.
Manzanal said people are starting to ask questions and picking up materials.
The next function at the Hub is on Monday, March 14. It's an origami paper making session for children K-3 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
The Bridges of Faith conference is March 30 - 31, from 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. in the seniors room at MRC.
- Reach Abbotsford-Mission Times columnist Ken Herar at kenherar@gmail.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment