
Proclaiming a resolution evolution
Getting ready for a new year: the year of the centenary
Happy New Year. As I was penciling down my Top 10 resolutions I asked myself, "Can these really be achieved?" Before I got too carried away with any more I decided to seek some advice from an expert in the field.
I picked up the phone and spoke with Tia Sparkles Singh, who is an unconventional solopreneur, life and business coach, writer and adventurer.
She inspires coaches and provides smart strategies for solopreneurs in their first year of business to beat fear and create a successful business.
"Traditionally people set goals and make resolutions around New Year's Eve that they break within days," she said. "A much smarter and more effective way to create positive changes in your life, is by setting intentions and guidelines instead. This is because willpower alone can't make you change.
"Those goals you set just aren't motivating enough. You set them out of a sense of guilt and pressure, not because you really want to do the work involved. So this year, why not try something different. Pick a word. For example, I picked 'committed' as my 2011 guiding word and I'll keep this as the basis of all my actions this year," she explained.
Before I do something, I'll ask myself, "What would someone who is really committed to this activity do and how would they do it?"
Just doing that will help with accountability without allowing you to fail, said Singh. For more information visit her website at www.coachtia.com.
With those thoughtful words from coach Tia, my personal goal for this year is I am committing myself again in promoting ways towards building an inclusive, diverse community.
With my cycling journey to Victoria planned for this May/June, I wanted to do something unique while capturing the imagination of a wider audience. I feel the moment has arrived to share with the general public some of the feedback I have gathered during my 16 years as a writer. I feel this is my sole responsibility and something I take very seriously.
People have been approaching me on the streets and giving me loonies and toonies and offering me places to stay during my upcoming seven-day trip. I am thankful and humbled by the gracious support. The campaign will officially start in March and will be called "Let's celebrate Multiculturalism together."
On a political side note, the last time someone ran for the top brass of a party from the Central Fraser Valley was Social Credit Dewdney MLA Norm Jacobsen of Mission back in 1991.
With Abbotsford MLA Mike de Jong seeking to become premier of this province, history could be in the making.
Speaking about history, on Monday, Jan. 10 at 3 p.m Mayor George Peary will proclaim 2011 as the Year of the Centenary of the National Historic Site Gur Sikh Temple in Abbotsford.
This event will be held in the civic auditorium of city hall in Abbotsford. Earlier in the day an exhibition of pioneer photos and stories will be open for viewing for the general public in the lobby.
Sharanjit Sandhra, who has been working hard organizing this historical event with her team said, "As such, in honour of this event, the entire community will be celebrating all year long. The kickoff of the centennial will take place at Abbotsford City Hall in January, where an exhibit of the Sikh temple and other pioneer images will be on display."
The Centre for Indo Canadian Studies at the University of the Fraser Valley will also be holding a reader's and writer's festival in March, a film festival, and an undergraduate conference in May honouring the pioneers.
The Khalsa Diwan Society of Abbotsford will also hold a three-day prayer, ending in a festival on the temple grounds in the month of August, said Sandhra.
- Ken Herar is a freelance columnist with the Abbotsford-Mission Times.
No comments:
Post a Comment