Ready to be the wheel deal
Snow can't put the freeze on training for multicultural bike trip
As we all get prepared for the snowfall that is scheduled to fall from the skies today, take a moment and think of me as I sweat it out at the gym preparing for my cycling expedition to Victoria early next summer.
Yes, I have been hard at it cycling, running and doing whatever it takes to hopefully land my bike and I at the provincial capital.
The sole purpose of this journey is to promote cultural diversity and the awareness of the growing cultural divide here in the Lower Mainland. As a writer for 15 years, I value the feedback I receive from readers. This open relationship allows me to hear of issues from a different set of eyes and ears.
Over the course of the last few years I have been noticing a downward trend in how people view some of our ethnic communities. More and more people have been approaching me with concerns about how certain groups, including South Asians, are becoming more actively discriminatory in how they live. Actually, people are going out of their way to share their negative feedback in detail.
I don't doubt the fact that these examples are real and I have decided to take steps to bring change. Unfortunately, I believe not enough is being done and we need to promote the awareness of these concerns.
People are extremely angry and frustrated of the growing isolation. Changes need to happen sooner than later. In 10-20 years, we will have some serious issues on hand if we don't discuss them now.
I can't change how people live, but we can certainly make them think.
The engine of diversity is working, but some major repairs are needed.
One important point, I would like to make very clear. I don't represent the South Asian community nor am I their spokesperson. I am just one of the many individuals who cares about building an inclusive community where everyone participates and shows equal respect. To help conquer this issue, I have decided to cycle from my hometown of Mission to Victoria in seven days. Along the way, I would like to stop through every Lower Mainland community and meet with representatives to discuss some of these issues.
Meeting and speaking with people is always fun and exciting. I am not planning doing this alone. If you believe in this message and would like to be part of this team, even if it's for only part of the distance, drop me a line. This has to be a group effort; we all have to make some sacrifices to make our communities better.
The bike that I will be pedaling on has been generously donated by Wentings Cycle & Mountain Shop in Mission. During the trip, I would like to raise enough funds to buy the bike and donate it to a worthy individual who is in need.
The end goal of this week-long spectacle would be to arrive at the Legislature and meet with the next premier and highlight this awareness. The political structure at all levels needs to be more involved and active in how we shape our communities.
Stay tuned. I am looking forward to coming to a city or town near you.
- Ken Herar is a freelance columnist for the Abbotsford-Mission Times. Contact him at: kenherar@gmail.com.
No comments:
Post a Comment