Friday, October 22, 2010

Almost time to announce the essay winners

Almost time to announce the winners

By Ken Herar, The Times October 22, 2010 8:05 AM

The judges have met and spoken. We will announce the recipients of the Times Building an Inclusive, Diverse Community essay contest very soon, likely with our Diwali special on Nov. 2.

I am super excited to introduce the winners of the adult and youth categories. There will be one winner and two honourable mentions for each category.

The winners will get his/her essay published in our diversity supplement and the two honourable mentions will have their essays published on the Times website.

All three selected winners for each category will have their faces published also.

Well, what can I say, it's been a fun and exciting two months promoting this event. I have met so many inspiring folks in our communities, who believe in the message we've been promoting.

Diversity will not work effectively if we're building isolated communities. In order to see the realization of our multicultural societies become a reality, there has to be an equal partnership and a genuine acceptance of our unique differences. This contest has not only become a local event, but is also getting international attention. I have received at least a dozen responses from writers in different countries.

Unfortunately, I advised them this was only for Abbotsford/Mission residents. I hope we don't have an international crisis on our hands. I may be hearing from Ottawa shortly. But, it's nice to see our message being heard far and wide and putting Canada on the map.

In the past eight weeks, I have visited local schools and had an opportunity to speak at the University of the Fraser Valley to the Sociology 101 class.

I faced many interesting questions. A university student stated during my presentation, "you are promoting two different goals: diversity and inclusiveness. That is simply, not achievable. We should all be the same."

I said, "I understand your concerns, but diversity exists everywhere around the globe and right here in this classroom.

"By keeping your religious beliefs and cultures this only makes our community stronger. It would be extremely dangerous if we took that all away. As an example, we don't have to look very far into Canadian history and see the destructive decisions made by past governments toward the First Nations communities, removing them from their homes."

The heart of this contest is to give people of all ages an opportunity to share in a positive discussion and discover ways to make our community more inclusive.

Going through the many essays the future looks bright. If you don't mind, I have to make some phone calls and notify the winners. Thank you.

n Ken Herar is a columnist with the Abbotsford-Mission Times. Contact him at kenherar@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment