Thursday, June 10, 2010

Speaking on CBC Radio..diversity shouldn't be confined to a list of percentages.

CBC panel talk was a great experience


By Ken Herar, The Times June 4, 2010


Last Friday, I was honoured to be one of the many distinguished guests on CBC's The Early Edition with host Rick Cluff, which broadcast live from the Abbotsford Recreation Centre from 5:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.

Considering I played basketball until almost midnight at the ARC my performance could have been more entertaining during our three-person panel discussion (with Satwinder Bains and Karry Kainth).

A good night sleep is essential. A Facebook friend left this message on my page: "You'll have to speak faster next time . . . lol. Not a lot of time to answer questions. But you definitely shine as a columnist."

Thanks Brett.

Being on air is something that I haven't done too often and it's going to take a bit of practise to loosen up those voice skills.

When I pulled into the parking lot at 6:15 a.m. it seemed like I never actually left the place. It was dark when I left and the same when I came back. Still sore from six hours previous and trying to shake off those a.m. blues, I was desperately trying to put my best foot forward and showcase our community.

When I approached the doors at the senior centre, I was impressed to see so many spectators listening to the show. It was fabulous to witness so many people who all became part of this memorable broadcast.

The CBC team did a fantastic job in hosting; providing muffins and coffee and everything appeared to go smoothly.

All scheduled guests were on time and did an inspiring job in putting Abbotsford on the map.

I shared a chuckle with host Cluff during one of the commercial breaks and told him I was playing basketball late last night across the hall.

My punch line came moments later and it went something like this: "The drug issue is not just restricted to the South Asian community, it's a community concern that shares no boundaries."

Abbotsford Police Chief Bob Rich seconded this thought later during his segment on the show. I believe at times the South Asian community unfortunately gets a bad rap based on a few bad apples.

Much of the broadcast was dedicated to South Asian issues, as May was Asian Heritage Month.

Throughout the program it was repeated several times that the Abbotsford South Asian population is one of the fastest growing in Canada, at around 16 per cent.

I hope listeners who have never been to Abbotsford don't get the impression that only South Asians reside in the 'burbs.

Let's not forget they are many ethnic communities who have deep roots in Abbotsford, such as the Dutch, Mennonites and the growing Asian population.

Here in the valley, with our growing diversity, I like to believe we see each other as one community, not divided into long lists of percentages. Statistics are nice, but it doesn't define diversity and the true accuracy of what we are building for future generations in our city in the country.

Ken Herar writes about community diversity issues for the Abbotsford-Mission Times. Contact him at KenHerar@gmail.com

© Copyright (c) Abbotsford Times

No comments:

Post a Comment